Thursday, August 23, 2012

Kiersten Haugen


Aloha! I'm Kiersten, in case you missed the title line. 

I am a 21 year old student of Political Science, Spanish and International Studies. I am a senior hoping to graduate this May, so I can run off and pursue a law degree! I'm a Lincoln native, but I'm setting my sights on states far from the midwest for post-grad work. Don't get me wrong-Nebraska is a lovely state. It's just time for me to stand on my own feet for a while; time to try something new, something radical.

This is my very first blog! I've taken a couple of online courses in the past ("summer reading" courses as they're called at UNL), though none of these has prompted students to work outside the Blackboard forum, which makes for a rather dull learning environment. I'm excited, therefore, to flex my creativity skills as afforded by the blogosphere.

Like Professor Baker, intercultural communication intrigues me. Languages, travel, and personal encounters are all things I treasure. I've studied abroad in Spain and Benin, Africa, and both of these experiences have fostered my appreciation for culture and communication. You really learn the value of cross-cultural communication when you're relying on hand gestures to explain to the nice African vendor that you do NOT want to purchase a goat, just pet it. Seriously, though, I'm hoping to learn the essentials about intercultural communication so that I can better understand how these exchanges work and even aid future interactions with people.

My interests and hobbies are as varied as Lady Gaga's wardrobe. Travel is a given, but I specifically enjoy the beach and nature-y adventures. I enjoy confronting my fears--the non-lethal ones, that is. For instance, while in Africa this summer I visited the Python Temple of Ouidah. Here's me crushing my fear of snakes...kinda. 


Be impressed.

Apart from exploring the world I love Mexican food, the Chili Peppers, good books, It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, penguins, mojitos, swimming, and dancing badly in the privacy of my home. I also maintain that I am a Malagueña at heart after spending much time in beautiful Málaga, Spain. Check out the view from the top--The Alcazaba:


Breathtaking, right? This photo required a serious hike, so do enjoy it.


In any event, it's a pleasure to meet you. 

5 comments:

  1. Hi! Nice to meet you. I love beach too. There are so nice and beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the city of Malaga! I recently spent a semester in Sevilla. Hope your time abroad was amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just figured out how to read my comments! lol and I will try to do the same for you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the first blog post and can't wait to read more. Any thoughts on where you want to go for law school?

    ReplyDelete