Friday, August 24, 2012

Alex Pieper

Hello,

As my title says, my name is Alex Pieper and I am a 21 year old senior here at the University.  I am majoring in Biological Systems Engineering with 2 minors in Biomedical Engineering and English.  The English minor usually comes as a surprise to most people.  I grew up in the center of Omaha, Nebraska, (the Dundee area to anyone familiar with Omaha) and went to Creighton Prep Highschool.  I come from a family of 4, and my one sister is just starting college down here at UNL.  I have really enjoyed having her down here.  Its weird to I think back when the two of us were romping around our neighborhood as young kids and then fast forwarding to the present where we are both in college.  Though it is cliche, time really does fly.

I do not have much experience with online classes.  I took one computer programming class online last semester and also an online psychology class.  Frankly, I am more of a hands on, visual, classroom learner.  However, the online version of this class fit my schedule perfectly to open up some hours for my job that I am starting this semester.  With that said, I am excited about the topics of this class.  Analyzing not only our own culture but also diving into a few others interests me.

I spent 2 1/2 months of this past summer working in Dresden, Germany.  A large majority of Germans speak English.  However, conversations are certainly different with most German people than they are with my family and friends.  I bring this up because I think this experience has shown me first hand how people from different cultures learn to communicate with one an other.  Though their phrases and sayings were not what I was used to hearing, I was able to pick up on what they were trying to say.

Here is a nice panorama picture of the Dresden "skyline"

In my free time, I enjoy spending time with friends and listening to music.  My favorite band right now is the Black Keys.  It has been fun hearing their sound change over the past 5 years.  I also like listening to Classic Rock, Regge, Folk, Jazz, Rap, and even some Electronic.  I'm always looking for new music so if someone has any good suggestions, please don't hesitate to let me know.

Here is a picture of my sister and me at a Husker football game last year

1 comment: