Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Erikson - CAPS #6

-->
            When discussing friendships, Martin and Nakayama (2012) state that, “as relationships develop in intimacy, friends share more personal and private information.”  College students, like myself, can be heavily influenced by these relationships and friendships because it allows them access to different cultures and in turn they can reflect on their own.  When I came to college four years ago I had a lot of previous exposure to people of different cultures, but none that were especially intimate.  When I was a freshman I met someone named Kyle in my first Communication course and he was unlike anyone I had ever known.  We clicked immediately as we shared our love of music, Chinese food, and laughter.  Kyle is a homosexual and I am a heterosexual, which makes us very different people.   
            Martin and Nakayama discuss a variety of different dialects throughout this chapter, but the differences-similarities dialect fits our particular friendship perfectly. This is when a relationship shares both similarities and differences.  The similarity principal states that people are attracted to others who are similar to them and are cognitively consistent by having intellectual connections that posse the same beliefs and values.  Kyle and I share many similar interests such as: our ages, political views, educational path, and love for boy bands.  We also have very similar personalities that are vivacious, charismatic, and level headed.  When it comes to differences, we definitely have those as well.  For instance, we come from different sexual orientations, religious backgrounds, and families.  Kyle is an only child who grew up in a Catholic household in Catholic schools where I grew up with multiple siblings in public schools and immersed in the Presbyterian Church.   Our core beliefs align in very similar ways, but our sexual orientation and religious beliefs vary.  Although we are so different it is actually very beneficial as that opens the door and promotes a lot of respect for one another. 
            It is obvious that Kyle and I share many similarities and differences.  Our text explains that successful relationships have a balance of differences and similarities (Martin and Nakayama, 2012).  Having all of these aspects throughout our friendship has definitely strengthened the both of us.  By knowing Kyle I have learned a tremendous amount about the LGBTQ community that I don’t think I would have experienced without him.  He has taught me what unconditional love is and most importantly that everyone is equal and should be treated that way.  As it gets close to Thanksgiving I can’t help but be so thankful for Kyle and what he has taught me as it continues to make me a better person.  Intercultural relationships are extremely beneficial and Kyle and I definitely prove this.  

 Check out this video! It won't let me upload the video, but here is the link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YUdXt2f29f0

References: 

Martin, J.N., & Nakayama, T.K. (2012). Intercultural Communication in Contexts (6th ed.). Boston, MA: McGraw Hill. 

3 comments:

  1. Great blog! I enjoyed reading about your relationship with Kyle. It seems like you have been able to learn a lot from him as your friendship has grown over the years. The relationship I spoke about also relates to the differences-similarities dialect. It was nice to compare and contrast my friendship with yours - nice work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. One of my good friends is also homosexual. Your relationship with Kyle reminds me a lot of my relationship with Joe. I agree that it has taught me a lot about myself and others, especially the LGBTQ community. If only everyone could see people should all be treated equally. Good work on the blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It sounds like your experience becoming friends with an individual different from yourself opened your eyes to a whole community of people. I have a similar story with a gay friend of mine. We are lucky to be exposed to so many types of people here in college and I think it really broadens our horizons.

    ReplyDelete