Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Freeman #6

According to the book the benefits of  relationships include (1) acquiring knowledge about the world, (2) breaking stereotypes.  I feel that intercultural relationships are things that are very important and something that I have been lucky enough to expirence a lot since I have come to Nebraska.  Sharing time with people from differnt cultures has really opened my eyes to what the rest of the world is like.  

The people that I will talk about are connections that I made as a member of the UNL tennis team.  Tennis is a sport that is very international and when I arrived in 2008 2/3 of the team was foreign mainly German.  This was a very eye opening experience for me because prior to joining the team I can't say that I had any experience with people from different cultural backgrounds.  It took me a while to feel comfortable around these individuals and act the way that I normally would mainly because I didn't quite know what to expect from them, or how they would act.  I'd say that it took me almost a full year to feel 100% around these individuals even though they where my teamates.  After tdon't me I realized that they were very similar to myself and that we all had a common intrest in tennis, today I know that they are some of the best friends that I have at the University and I have spent so much time with them that I don't even think of them as foreign except for the fact that they like soccer better than football they are very similar to Americans.

Although I have never been to Europe based on the expirences that I have had with my teamates I haved realized that it is a place that I would love to visit someday, mainly Germany a country that I never thought I would want to visit before I came to college.  The video I have posted talks about foregin college students and how school in the United States might be different for them.

3 comments:

  1. I agree, learning from others is definitely an eye opening experience. You never really realize how much you have to learn until you encounter people who are much different than you! I love that UNL has the opportunities to interact with so many incredible people from all types of backgrounds!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is so cool to meet people from other cultures and make friends with them! UNL is surprisingly diverse.. not as diverse as some schools I am sure, but they are doing well for being in Lincoln, Nebraska.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is great to meet others who come from other countries. I love learning about how differently they live or how they view subjects differently based on where they come from. Where a person comes from really does make a difference on how they view different subjects or situations, I just find it so interesting!

    ReplyDelete