Friday, October 5, 2012

CAPS Blog #3 Gatson


   I stumbled upon UNL Haters last week and was actually able to apply to my Cultural Report Blog about international students.  This blog is so full of ignorance that it is just ridiculous.  I always think how I would feel if I was an international student and saw this.  It would kind of stunt my college experience always being the odd person out.  I love the fact that this blog was made because not only does it call people out for their poor judgment but it also puts it in a negative light so they realize that these comments can be hurtful. 
          
  I know I’ve already made comments about how low the minority rate was at my high school but it has been relevant almost every week.  The few Asian students we had in our classes were called “Asian Sensations” and other terms usually giving way to classic stereotypes.  Not one of the students ever made  single comment about it.  One time I asked one of my friends if it annoyed them to always be called by their race rather than name. He said some of them didn’t comment because they weren’t bothered supposedly.  However others said that even though it bothered them they didn’t want to speak up because it got them attention even though they were center of a slight case of racism. 
           



UNL haters seems to be predominately about the international students so I wanted to post this mildly entertaining video of this girl going over all of the things that are asked of her due to her looks.



   What can we do? I noticed that the international students have their own get togethers where they go places together or have game nights and dances.  I think this is great because others who share a common culture can surround them, but I also think that sometimes it can isolate them slightly further.  I think it would help if we had events that were like cultural mixers where students actually have to interact with one another and get to know each other’s background so we can have a better appreciation and understanding of each that would help students from singling each other out.


References: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YClN2E0iQ5s&feature=related

No comments:

Post a Comment