Friday, September 7, 2012

Got Privilege?

The whole concept of whiteness has always been intriguing to me. I am an African American male and I feel like I am surrounded by what we have come to know as “white privilege”. When people hear the term white many usually tend to think of a middle class successful man (typically). They never really tend to think negatively when this term is said. This reaction within itself is a form a privilege. The privilege is having the positive things be associated with the term. That in itself can be a tremendous benefit depending on the context in which it is used. Whiteness is one of those things that is viewed very differently depending on who it is that you ask about. But I just want to give me take on it.
            I think that Peggy McIntosh actually did a pretty accurate job at defining what white privilege is and giving specific examples of how it plays out in everyday society. She wrote an article called “The Invisible Knapsack”. She is referring to the knapsack as this invisible bag that holds all of the unearned privileges that people get simply for being white. To list a few she says,
“As a White person: I can do well in a challenging situation without being called a credit to my race. I am never asked to speak for all the people of my racial group. I can if I wish arrange to be in the company of people of my race most of the time. When I am told about our national heritage or about "civilization," I am shown that people of my color made it what it is. I can swear, dress in second hand clothes, or not answer letters, without having people attribute these choices to bad morals, the poverty, or the illiteracy of my race”. Being an African American male I totally agree with a lot, if not all, of the privileges that white people get simply because of the color of their skin.
            When I visited site stuff white people the three entries I want to briefly discuss is #128 camping, #120 Taking a year off, and #101 Being offended. The reason I picked these entries is because the first to relates to two of the stereotypes of whiteness in rewards to socioeconomic status. Many white people are believed to be middle class people who are typically viewed as well to do and not have many worries when it comes to finances. So I picked the entries on camping and taking a year off because those are two things that can be considered a luxury. I look at it this way because unfortunately many minorities can’t afford the luxury of going camping (ironic, I know, because you’re typically roughing it) or taking a year off, especially when it comes to work.
            In my 4 years of being here at the university I tend to enjoy when we can talk about topics such as white privilege. I like it because I feel that most of the time it gives white people the opportunity to see that they actually do have a privilege even if they don’t want to accept it. But one other thing that I want to add in is that I constantly get the term “oreo” thrown my direction because of people perceiving me to “act white”. I only get this term from people who aren’t white (but that’s a whole different story). But I enjoyed this section because I thought it provides great dialogue about a phenomenon that many people don’t wish to talk about. Below is just another YouTube Clip I found that talks a little bit more about white privilege and racial profiling as Peggy McIntosh briefly hinted at.



1 comment:

  1. Great blog post! Very insightful and engaging. Great point about the irony of camping. It is so expensive to acually "rough" it - you need equipment, pay for the site, buy food, gas, etc. and of course have a job that allows for the flexibility to take off and go camping.

    Great start with the blog assignment. Moving forward think about how you can bring in more visuals to enhance your points. Also think about how you can engage more with question #3 on the blog prompt, which asks you to connect the specific application to the bigger picture regarding intercultural comm in the world around us.

    ReplyDelete