Friday, September 7, 2012

50 Shades, the Knapsack and Africa



            I couldn’t stop the “Oh, whoa!” from exiting my lips when I visited my friend’s apartment last week. My dear, Gaga-lovin’, chai-tee sippin’, too-white-for-direct-sunlight friend had ordered a copy of Christian Lander’s book, Whiter Shades of Pale. Without delving into much detail, she explained that the book was “accidentally” purchased. Between you and me, I’m pretty sure she meant to order 50 Shades of Grey. In any case, I was thrilled to have the chance to thumb through the deeply entertaining novel…since the book obviously isn’t getting any action at home.

            As readers of Landler’s popular blog, you’d accurately guess that the author humorously and cleverly applies this concept of an invisible knapsack to core components of popular culture, which, to the standard white Nebraskan, is both entertaining and intriguing. The first chapter, for instance, toys with notion of the Ivy League education, and what it means to white people. Through a rough set of conversation tips, Landler is essentially providing readers with a wickedly funny guide to white culture. Humor aside, however, Landler’s criticism touches on crucial themes in self-identification; among them: the white person’s need for “constant reassurance […] that they made the right choice with their life” (5-6) be that academically, professionally or socially.
            And that leads me to today’s definitions: whiteness, identity and this knapsack. Martin and Nakayama are correct in arguing that it’s difficult as white people to identify cultural aspects that are uniquely white (194). Though, to be fair, it’s tough for anyone to critically examine his or her own culture while immersed in said culture. But whiteness, as the authors argue, comes with unspoken privileges, perceptions, and cultural practices (195-196). Likewise, Peggy McIntosh further pinpoints privileges pertaining to behavior and attire (195). In a state like Nebraska, where demographics aren’t exceptionally diverse, it’s difficult for me, as a white student, to see where the differences lie. It wasn’t until I ventured abroad to countries in Africa and Europe that I got a real sense of how people perceive others based on physical and racial cues. My experiences were not negative, but it definitely helped me understand how nonverbal cues can aid or hinder communication.  
            Landler’s book and blog mock the privileges of the knapsack as well as the issue of self-identification. That is, we as white people like difference to an extent, and like others, we struggle to pinpoint our own characteristics and shape our own identities. As requested I chose some blog posts that intrigued me, more specifically, things I as a white person also like. Though the prompt asked students to relate one post on “racism, stereotyping, and identity as a societal phenomenon”, I argue that the three I’ve chosen collectively contribute to this notion of an unidentified identity.

“As 2007′s Indie hit, it is alternative mainstream and white people love it when low budget movies do well.” The term “popular indie movie” is oxymoronic, but it plays to the idea that white people enjoy the seemingly underappreciated arts.
“But as with all things, white people will do whatever it takes to secure authenticity including paying thousands of dollars for a small piece of furniture.” Modern furniture is nothing I’d find myself deeply pondering, but Landler has a point. We shell out big bucks just to obtain something rare that ideally helps make us unique—a sad, but socially true occurrence.
Landler points out that the satirical newspaper has grafted itself onto popular culture, prompting readers to believe that they, too, should be part of the publication, despite a lack of creative talent. I, however, might be the exception.

            Like it or not, concepts of whiteness, the idea that physical cues can serve as information shortcuts to my personal identity, are present. As Martin and Nakayama state, identity is as much about who I think I am as who others think I am (170). While in Cotonou this summer, I had an interesting encounter with whiteness. My team visited Obama Beach, an attraction dedicated to our current president. Upon hearing me speak to my friends, several little kids ran up to us and asked if we were Americans. They immediately began running their hands over ours, laughing as some of the Nebraska girls pulled away. Then a young mother asked me to take this photo with her daughter:


My French is pretty limited, but from what my translator friend told me, she wanted her daughter to express friendship toward a country that has done much in the way of financial aid for her country. I politely tried to explain that I personally hadn’t done anything, but she was insistent. The day only got stranger when we finally got to the sand and were bombarded by little kids asking us to sing! Here’s an amazing video of the girls and I sitting on the beach, obliging the adorable little ones with an American song. Unfortunately, the only one we could think of on the spot was Carly Rae Jepson’s “Call Me Maybe.” Sorry we’re not sorry.


Identities cues, be they racial, gender-related or nationalistic, are powerful means of communication. The cues are as useful as we allow them to be, which is tricky, because they aren’t based on any factual evidence. The best we can do as intercultural communicators is master impression management, or the way we attempt to control others perceptions of ourselves, and hope for the best.

Sources:
Clander. (2008, February 6). #57 Juno. Retrieved from: Stuff White People Like: http://stuffwhitepeoplelike.com/2008/02/06/57-juno/

Clander. (2008, March 2). #79 Modern Furniture. Retrieved from: Stuff White People Like: http://stuffwhitepeoplelike.com/2008/03/02/79-modern-furniture/

Clander. (2008, September 15). #109 The Onion. Retrieved from: http://stuffwhitepeoplelike.com/2008/09/15/109-the-onion/

Lander, Christian. Whiter Shades of Pale. 2010. Random House. New York.

Martin, J.N, & Nakayama, T.K. (2009). Intercultural Communication in Contexts, (5th edition). 

2 comments:

  1. This is so cute. I love how you chose, "Call Me Maybe". I think that was a good depiction of America and our current society/culture. This post was very insightful and informative. I gained a lot from reading it and watching the video. How cute. The little kids who ran their hands over yours after asking if you were American, I can only see as a compliment. Also, I completely agree with the bit about American's handing over thousands of dollars to be original or own something rare or not often imitated or well-known. This is actually a nice jump off point and could develop into an entire paper or discussion :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent blog! Very creativity, engaging, and I love the tongue in cheek use of humor. Love that you mentioned The Onion. I have a few friends who post Onion articles on the daily to Facebook. "Enough already!" I want to scream. Anywho excellent blog and keep up the good work. oh and your commenting is totally on point. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete