Thursday, September 27, 2012

CAPS #3 - Sueverkruepp

I am so glad that we have the opportunity to write about the UNL Haters blog from an opportune standpoint.  I noticed that a friend of mine on Facebook had posted about the UNL Haters blog about a week ago, catching my immediate attention.  Although in reality, the people who have been posting these disgusting comments are a very small fraction of our campus, it makes me think a lot about the students who have yet to be called out for their disrespectful behavior...which could end up being a whole lot higher than we want to imagine.  Personally, I am very disappointed by the actions of these students...joking or not, racism, sexism, and flat out disrespect forces our generation one step backwards.  And unfortunately, those who don't agree with hate are taken back too.  

To respond to the linguistic hate that is happening on our campus, our students who believe in respect for all (including those who are different) need to continually step up for those who are ridiculed   This blog in my opinion is awesome, because it teaches all of us -not just those who had statuses posted on the site- that what we say on the internet is permanent   I'm sure that most of those posts have now been deleted from Twitter and Facebook, but with one little print screen from another laptop, the message lives on.  In conversation as well, we need to remove the idea in our minds that disagreement with others will make them not like us.  It is basic human nature for us to want others to like us, and it truly okay to speak your mind, even if it is in disagreement.  Telling someone to simply "be nice" spreads love to those who need it the most.




To truly create a respectful campus climate, we need to first of all, not feed the trolls.  In meme lingo, the "haters gonna hate" and it is our job to build up our students who want to be built up.  Let's provide minority students, women, homosexual students and others afflicted with events where they can be proud to be themselves.  Especially with no stigmas attached.  Where is our fellowship of students?  Husker pride expands far beyond game day, and we need to show the nation that Nebraska is a place for love, acceptance, and peace.   We need to be a campus of "UNL pride" not "UNL prejudice".  

6 comments:

  1. I agree with everything on this post. I find the UNL haters site very interesting, and agree with your point that we all need to relize that we are all Huskers on days other than game day and treat each other with respect all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I completely agree with your post as well. I think it is important that we realize that even if the people saying these hateful things consider them a "joke" they can still be disrespectful and hurtful to the people at the opposite end of them. I also agree with your statement that we need to become a campus of UNL Pride. I think that is a great way to put it. We need to be proud that we all have one thing in common and that is going to an excellent school.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I appeicate the messege at the end. I truley envision and hope for a future where UNL and the world will be a place of tolerence and respect. I'm not sure how to create this visuon but I am optimistic that mindset will change provided time has past.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I completely agree with your idea behind UNL coming together as a campus outside of game days. We need to understand how to tolerant each and every person's individuality because with the accessibility we have to social media and the advancement in technology, it's only going to get worse. Great blog post!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great job! This blog makes me respect everyone so much more in our class. All of us agree that this is definitely wrong and unacceptable and we need to stand up for those who are too afraid to say something. I want to be able to say I am proud to being an UNL student. Not embarrassed for the comments some students say.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes I'm agree with you that in reality, people who made such comments (as shown on UNL Haters) is actually representing only small fraction of our campus. I do believe there still a lot of students in our campus who are not racist and over-judge mentalist towards people from different culture and background. Such website have taught me to be more respectful towards other people and to think wisely before expressing our words.

    ReplyDelete