Wednesday, September 5, 2012

CAPS Blog - Whiteness



            Before getting into the true definition of whiteness it is important to look at how far our country has come over the past few decades. For instance, everyone from any race and ethnicity can eat at the same places, use the same restrooms, etc. wherever they please, every citizen is allowed to vote, and almost four years ago we elected our first African American president.  It is truly remarkable that the transition from hate to acceptance has come from such a dark past.  Yet the issue of whiteness is still daunting.  Characteristics of whiteness can be described through three dimensions: normative race privilege, a standpoint from which white people look at themselves, others and society, and a set of cultural practices that are often unnoticed and unnamed.  Ruth Frankenburg described all of these dimensions back in 1993 (Martin & Nakayama, 2012, p. 194). Though many years have passed, this issue still exists and can still be identified by these dimensions that state that white people have the upper hand the majority of the time.

            On the first day of my freshman year I stepped into Omaha Central High School as a white, blonde, blue eyed, female from West Omaha. Central is the most diverse high school in Nebraska and it is filled with a myriad of different cultures such as, Whites, African Americans, Asians, Latin Americans, etc.  Overall, there was an equal amount of white students in comparison to students of different backgrounds walking the halls everyday.  In this setting you would think there would be equal opportunities for every student, but this didn’t always seem to be the case.  It always seemed like white students were the presidents of Student Council and Academic Decathlon and honors courses were usually white.  I really began to feel whiteness when it came to after school activities and weekends with friends.  Although I gained a large amount of African American friends I never took the next step to hang out with them outside of school.  Why is this? Is it because some of them lived in a different neighborhood than me? Is it because they didn’t share similar home lives to me? Were we too different?  I grew up in an extremely welcoming and excepting home where my parents taught me to be an advocate against discrimination and racism at an early age, therefore, I kick myself for not creating lasting relationships with great friends at school because of what I now realize was “whiteness.”  As I type this blog I have a heavy heart and feel much regret to these choices. 
            Although whiteness isn’t as big of an issue as it was ten years ago, it does still exists.  White people are usually seen as the people with the upper hand.  I think this stereotype is actually holding minorities back and limiting their self esteem and self-concept.  I’m not sure what needs to be done to completely abolish the idea of whiteness, but I wish I did.  The fact that we have an African American president shows that our community is making advances.  In my opinion, the majority of people don’t choose to see whiteness it just plays that role.  Personally, I see a future where “whiteness” is no longer an issue.  For instance, I have a little brother who is fourteen years old.  Like me he has gone to culturally diverse schools his entire life.  When speaking to him I am able to see that he sees no whiteness.  He has a ton of African American friends and sees no problem bringing them our house for sleepovers, movies, to play basketball, etc.  This is incredible to me and gives me hope for the future. 
            I have posted a video below titled; “Dear White People…” this video describes how African American people feel when it comes to they way other people see their culture.  Although this video is dealt with in a humorous way it is very interesting to see things from the other side.  As a white female I don’t know what it is like to be someone of a different culture than mine. This video provided me with some good insight. Enjoy!


Dear White People (2012, June 13). Dear White People… Retrieved September 5, 2012, from http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=watjO62NrVg

Martin, J.N., & Nakayama, T.K. (2012). Intercultural Communication in Contexts (6th edition). Boston, MA: McGraw Hill.

5 comments:

  1. I enjoyed reading your post Elizabeth! It's interesting reading about your high school career, and how different it was from mine in regards to being surrounded by different cultures. The high school that I attended (it was a class B school, so it wasn't huge, but it wasn't a small high school either...) had a high majority of white students. Out of my graduation class of 160 students, there were probably around 30 minority students, most of whom were Hispanic. It's easy to look back and think about all of the things that we could have done, and the people we could have been closer with. Take heart though, that it's never too late to strengthen those relationships with those you wish you could have gotten to know better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds like going to a culturally diverse high school was a really positive experience for you! I enjoyed reading about how you were able to make a great deal of friends and I'm sorry you weren't able to keep in contact with those friends outside of school. Maybe at a younger age you were not able to understand the impact or the importance of society's stereotypes and the effect they have on the minority populations. Even though you regret some things, it sounds like you were able to take away a few lessons from your time spent at Omaha Central High School.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I absolutely loved the light hearted side of the video but also the getting down to the point aspect of it. In the video there was a little part where it asked, "What would you do if someone started a dear black people?" and she responded, "There is no need for a dear black people. There is cops, Fox news and reality TV let us know exactly what you think of us." I would whole heartly agree with this statement. I can't imagine being attacked by these channels of communication who don't even know me personally. I think you did a great job with this blog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I enjoyed reading about you experience at a culturally diverse high school. I also went to a similar school but had a different experience. I went to Lexington High School where a large majority of the students were hispanic. I was friends with many hispanics in and out of school and they were a large part of my life and helped shape the way I see the world. While ideally it would be wonderful to live in a world where whiteness is not a problem, I don't see that ever happening, as long as their are stereotypes it will always be a problem.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I went to Millard North High School so we didn't have half the diversity you guys have over at Central. I can related to a few things in that video and it made me laugh out loud a couple of times. I'm biracial so i have brown curly hair and EVERY TIME I wear it down or even in a pony tail everybody wants to touch it and comment on how it feels and asks if it is real or not. I really enjoyed your post it was really insightful.

    ReplyDelete